Friday, November 21, 2008

My Twitter Experiment: An Update


Just about one month ago, I went down the rabbit hole that is Twitter.

A couple of weeks ago, I was not too sure what to make of the Twitter world.

Tonight?  I have to be honest, I am not completely sold.  There is a feeling of being at a party and only catching single lines of conversation here and there.  As long as I keep the number of people I follow to a minimum and focus more on making my updates and replying to just a few updates by others, it isn't too bad.

I read something today though, that is encouraging me to keep up my Tweeting.  For some reason, I looked up Twitter on Wikipedia.  There are some interesting facts, some good and at least one, not so good.  First, the not so good:  Twitter collects any and all personal identifiable information. It considers that information an asset and may or may not sell it.  (According to Wikipedia)

The good new--or at least interesting news is that during the reign of fire Southern California experienced a year ago, the Los Angeles Fire Department was able to use it.  NASA tweets during certain Space Shuttle missions or to break news like the discovery of ice on Mars.  The Prime Minister's office (of Great Britain) uses Twitter to post updates on the goings on of that office. Twitter was found to be more effective in keeping students updated during the Virginia Tech tragedy.

I don't know, I think that is very interesting.  I see some possibilities here that I didn't before. I'm still not 100% sold, but I am going to try it out a little longer. After all, this is the age of Web 2.0.

21 down, 9 to go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's the why behind the what of Twitter. I figured there had to be some money angle.

I've seen a few blog-scraps break out between bloggers over ill-considered twitter quips that erupt into firey drama. That's enough to turn me off.

Mel said...

Oh, I have enough of a time operating blogger!
Though I did go look....it's just not something I can wrap my head around today.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Saw your award on Hibby and Hubby and thought I would navigate my way over to your spot on the internet superhighway this morning. Glad that I did.

NaBloPoMo...OMG! Talk about an idea that I implemented and am living to regret. While there is satisfaction in following up on the commitment to blog everyday, it sure ain't easy! I find myself constantly trying to dream up content for posts. How about you?

I heart me some Wikipedia! Amazing that the online resource is actually written completely by its users. It really is my one stop shop for all things unknown.

John Ross Barnes said...

Wow, you've been really busy while I was offline.

Twitter - you now i'm there, but I also am smomewhat ambivilant.

web 2.0 - read it all, my head hurts.(okay, I've got a bead haed cold - but still....)

How do you do it all?????

don't mind me, I just feel 50, going on about...a helluva lot more than that.(maybe it's hte fever)

congrats on the 30 blog/30 days thing so far.