Thursday, February 01, 2007

Leaving: A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post – January 2007

It has been awhile since I awarded a Perfect Post award. It isn't because there hasn't been any worthy posts to come my way. I've just been doing other things. This month, though, I was thrilled to see a certain blog pop up in my Google reader with a new post. It had been months and months since Cyn Kitchen had graced the blogosphere with a post, and after a brief post explaining her absence, she came back with a power-packed piece describing her son's leaving for the military.

If you are a parent, these words will suck you right in:
Did nobody warn me? Or was I not listening? One day my oldest son was here, driving me nuts, making me laugh, giving me bear hugs, and the next day he was gone.
If you aren't a parent, you will still be struck by this woman's writing. So, get yourself on over to Cyn's Kitchen and be amazed. And while you are there, do check out her archives, especially What They Really Meant to Say Was..., about the angst of getting published, It Could Be Worse, which anyone who has ever been a preschooler's mom must read, and her hysterical description of life as a coffee shop owner, How I Got This Way.

6 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

I keep meaning to nominate Perfect Posts and ROFL posts. I'm glad you got one in...it was good!

Hey I can't recall if I already emailed you or just had it all thought out in my head and never got past "intend to."

I had a quick question. Can you buzz me at jpippert atgmaildot com

Muchas gracias.

atypical said...

Great choice. Loved the post. Okay, I actually loved all of the ones you referenced.

-t

P.S. The postman hopefully rings on Mondays....

Aliki2006 said...

Good choice! Thanks for letting us all know about her blog...it's great to add more to my list of reads!

Sheila said...

I love the It Could Be Worse. It's funny because it's true!

Binky said...

I remember when you pointed out "It Could Be Worse" to me earlier. I still think about that post whenever I want a girl's night out, or when I wish I had girls to go out with. I'm so glad the Cynical Kitchen is cooking again. I will put the site on my Bloglines immediately.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Finally getting to just browse around and get caught up! Valerie found Cynical Kitchen from you and sent me the link when we were IM-ing one day. She is absolutely one of the best writers I've encountered on the web.

I noticed you in one of the comments and I asked V if she picked up Cynical Kitchen by reading you ... and of course the answer was yes! ... I wasn't surprised. You always keep excellent company.

have fun!
pam