Thursday, April 13, 2006

Six Degrees of Booking

For some reason, the Booking Through Thursday site didn't put up new questions today. I'm kinda bummed so I decided to work on something myself. I think I will call this Six Degrees of Booking. Connect any six books in your library to each other (no series!)

Here I go:

  1. Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I think of HWOSG as a non-fiction version of a Douglas Coupland novel such as. . .
  2. All Families are Psychotic which is about a dysfunctional family that is funny whereas
  3. Blood Ties by Jennifer Lash is about a dysfunctional family which is not funny. Jennifer Lash is Joseph Fiennes' mom who played William Shakespeare in Shakespeare in Love. William Shakespeare is an important part of the Thursday Next novels such as. . .
  4. The Eyre Affair. Important to the plot of The Eyre Affair is the title character Jane Eyre from. . .
  5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte whose sister Emily wrote. . .
  6. Wuthering Heights.
Ta Da! These are all books from my library and I've actually read each one.

6 comments:

Chickenone said...

ok, here's my attempt (think "girl power" here)

1. Beyond Sex Roles by Gilbert Bilezikian examines appropriate roles for males and females in the church and family that would render the characters in

2. Linda Berdoll's Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife in "compleat stupefaction" ...

3. Not unlike Maureen Dowd's take of the female species in her book Are Men Necessary? Which reflects upon...

4. Milan, ever conscious of her public image, in Liberating Paris by Linda Bloodworth Thomason.. who shows what she's made of and reminded me that the female species is an enigma much like...

5. Barbara Bush, in Marjorie Williams' The Woman At The Washington Zoo who is noted to have put the fear in people just as surely as she endeared herself to them

6. like the world's greatest managers do in Marcus Buckingham/Curt Coffman's book entitled First, Break All The Rules.

How did I do?

Sheila said...

Mary and Michelle, you are both fanTAStic! This is a very very fun game. I must think a bit, but I'm totally playing.

Unknown said...

Good job Michelle. Yours even had a theme. Hmmm... I don't know if I could have done that. And Sheila, I'm looking forward to your six degrees.

Unknown said...

Great job! I'm not familiar with The Makioka Sisters or Norwegian Wood. Do you recommend them?

Sheila said...

OK, I forgot about this, but I'm back. Here's a good mix:

(1) I'll start with The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde, which I own in a signed hardback, because my husband loves me (aaahhhh),
(2) which I read because I love The Eyre Affair, also by Jasper Fforde, which should be required reading for all book lovers, because
(3) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is such a great book, as well as
(4) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, which is fantastic and inspired so many other books, like
(5) The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, which I liked the idea of and the way her characters reflected Austen's characters, and I loved the quotes at the end, but didn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to, but I just love
(6) Mr Darcy Takes A Wife by Linda Berdoll, which I do not own but probably will some day because it just was so enjoyable to read.

Unknown said...

Yeah! Thanks for playing. This has been terRIFfic [to borrow from your fanTAStic ;)] fun.