Thursday, April 06, 2006

My First Meme

Well, apparently it is all the rage to do a meme on a blog. That sounds like a foreign language, doesn't it? What is a meme, you ask? Let me share this definition with you:

meme n (mëm): A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. From the Greek mimëma, something imitated, from mimeisthai, to imitate.

In the blogosphere, that translates to theme posts, such as Favorite Foto Friday or Three Things Thursdays (nod to Sheila of Musings of a Mommy.) I haven't really adopted any meme for my own, but now, I have found (trumpets sound) Booking Through Thursday. Now, that's a meme for me! Yahoo! So, I'll post my answers to today's questions and see if anyone else wants to join me.

This week's questions were suggested by Kim.

An Interesting Character

Do you have a favorite character(s)? Thomas Covenant (Let me say that I have so many favorite characters from Atticus Finch to Thursday Next. I've been thinking about the Thomas Covenant books lately, hence my choice.)

What book/author is he/she/it from? From The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson.

Why do you like this person--what is it about the way he/she was written that drew you to them? When the reader first meets Thomas Covenant, he is exists in a living hell. He is a leper, an outcast from his town. His wife left him and took their son. He is miserable and bound to live through the rituals which keep his leprosy from spreading. He is thrust into another world, called the Land, which completely confounds him where he faces terrible situations. But, unlike what you might expect, he doesn't rise to those situations. He fights them with devastating consequences. Somehow, you feel for him at the same time you are completely frustrated by him. I think it is the sign of good writing when you want to argue with a fictional character!

Is there something more you would like the author to tell you about them? Because the series is so long(two series, three books each) it is very comprehensive. I think Donaldson pretty much tells you everything you could possibly want/need to know.

Well, that's it. My first meme. I know there are plenty of other book lovers out there who'd enjoy this one. Let me know if you decide to join me!

For more memes, check out The Daily Meme. Of particular interest, the writing section has lots of links to story starters and other writing exercises that are fun and challenging.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Fun, fun. I do so love Thursday Next. I also like Ameila Peabody from the mysteries by Elizabeth Peters, and Stephanie Plum from the Janet Evanovich camp. Hmmm, strong, quirky females. This probably says something about my personality, no?