Thursday, July 20, 2006

Booking with Imperfections




Booking Through Thursday


  1. What is most battered book in your collection? The one with loose pages, tattered corners, and page edges so soft that there's not even a risk of paper cuts anymore? After a quick perusal of my bookshelves, the muckiest book I came across is Baby & Child A to Z Medical Handbook by Dr Miriam Stoppard



  2. Why is this book so tattered? Is it that you love it so much that you've read it a zillion times? Is it a reference book you've used every day for the last seven years? Something your new puppy teethed on when you weren't looking? This was my child illness bible when my son was small. Eight years later, I used is again when my daughter was born. I used it to look up everything from earaches to febrile seizures (actually needed it for that!) I used it for friends when they called with questions about rashes, things in their children's eyes or fevers. As I look at the cover, I can see that it has something spilled on it, one of the kids drew on the back pages and some of the pages are torn. It has been a good friend to my family!

1 comment:

Glyn Norman said...

Hmm, a strong contender would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's an easy entry sci-fi book that I can slip back into and read quickly - th equivalent of putting on slippers for the mind.
A couple of other well-thumbed tomes would be:
Yes Minister, and Yes Prime Minister by Lynn and Jay
On Broadway, by Damon Runyon

and probably the most thumbed and re-read of all my books:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.

To my sadness, most Americans who read this book don't find it half as funny as I do... perhaps you need a British funny bone to fully appreciate it.