Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Total Perspective Vortex

Apparently it really is "Geek Week" here at Life, the Universe and Everything as evidenced by this post in which I quote Wikipedia* on information pertaining to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it relates to a recent incident in my life.


The Total Perspective Vortex, in the fictional world of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is the most horrible torture device to which a sentient being can be subjected. Located on Frogstar World B, it shows its victim the entire unimaginable infinity of the universe with a very tiny marker that says "You Are Here" which points to a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot.

I got a little blog'verse style taste of the Total Perspective Vortex this weekend. I received the following comment on my For Maddy post from Nicki Mann:

Hey! I am in the same room with you at Blogher... the one about exclusion/inclusion. Great question you asked... I think thats the kind of thing everyone would want to ask but didn't want to be the person to say it! :D

Well, obviously it was a mistake since I was on my couch at home and not in Chicago with the BlogHer crowd. I emailed her back and apparently there was a woman in the inclusion/exclusion panel discussion who has a blog named Life, the Universe and Everything. She said something Nicki thought was interesting and she googled her blog. My profile picture was apparently a close enough match that she thought she'd arrived at the right LUE.

I decided to use Technorati to search for this woman's blog, this woman who looked somewhat like me and had chosen the same title for her blog. Quite a few results turned up.

I stopped counting after 20.

I guess I don't feel so clever and unique after all.

Sigh.

Oh well, at least I have the coolest looking blog** named Life, the Universe and Everything.



"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information." Michael Scott, Dunder Mifflen, Scranton, PA

**Coolest looking blog design influenced by the work of Douglas Adams is courtesy of Izzy of Izzy Design and Graphics.


P.S. I have finally gotten around to putting up my Rocking Girl Blogger award. It is very pink, you can't miss it. Snoskred of Life in the Country very graciously awarded it to me a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Snoskred! I'm supposed to pay it forward and will do so sometime this week or the next.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's very cool, but I'm burning to know what was the question your doppelganger asked? It may keep me up.

Mel said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone in wanting to know what that brave soul asked.

atypical said...

But you see, you are SO the center of the Blogiverse. Uh huh! And, you are most certainly individual since God created you! I mean, goodness, even if we are little tiny spots in the universe, ear mites are even smaller, and He even pays tons of attention to detail in designing them.

(Remind me I said all of this tomorrow when I am having a "You are here" moment)

I am dying to know the question the other LUE asked too. I don't suppose you weasled that informetion out in your email?

-t

N. said...

I'm glad this ended reasonably well. I thought this story was going to wind up as a cautionary tale of stalkers passing themselves off as you at BlogHer.

Yes, your blog is the prettiest. And, do you have any insightful comments about inclusivity/exclusivity in blogland? Please share.

Maddy said...

Lummy! That's a bit of a corker! Well as far as I'm concerned, I quite happy with [more than happy] with this particular version of life, the universe and everything!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned, you are the *only* Life, the Universe, and Everything blog.