Monday, January 08, 2007

Sleeping with Bread: Resolutions in Progress

Well, it ended up being a two week break from Sleeping with Bread. I forgot that New Year's day would land on Monday also and I just continued with my SWB holiday. Of course, I did spend 2 1/2 hours that evening in the ER so my son could get stitches. (No major story there, just a boys will be boys bad judgment--not my son's but his friends.) Anyway, here I am 8 days in to the 2007 contemplating what recently has been life-giving and life-draining.

So far, in 2007, what has given me consolation?

I think as I look back, I have been allowed to rest in the New Year. After a crazy-busy Christmas season I was ready. Of course, I am still taking a break as the Christmas tree and other miscellaneous decorations are still up! In fact, Marley asked me today if we could leave it up for the rest of the year. No, it won't stay up that long. I'm sure I'll manage to take it down before my wedding anniversary (late January.) School started back today and it is time for responsibility and routine. It may take me a little while to ramp it up, but I'll get there.

I've also felt good so far this year about some choices I've been making. I've been making good on some New Year's resolutions and working on issues (spiritual disciplines, food, excercise, finances, etc.) in which I need to either be more moderate or more disciplined. The year is young, so very young, but I do feel like I have a chance to finish it well.

So far, in 2007, what has caused me desolation?

Probably a better word this week than desolation is grief. Along with the most excellent choices I've been making are little deaths. The one I've felt most strongly this week is in regard to food. As much as I know it is a good decision to make, I do not want to restrict my choice of foods. I get cranky or sad and have to work through it. I hope it will get easier. It will get easier, right?

5 comments:

daisies said...

i only took down my christmas decorations this past weekend. it actually felt really good but it took me most of saturday : /

hope that you are doing well :)

ewe are here said...

Sounds like you've gotten off to a great start this 2007!

Terri B. said...

I'm doing better than most years. I've disassembled the trees (had a mini redwood forest with a star on top of the tallest) and they are now laying in the middle of the floor waiting for someone to trip on them. I should be able to get motivated to box them up within the next week or so.

Aliki2006 said...

Christmas is all boxed up around here...I noticed that while the kids were besides themselves with excitement about setting UP Christmas, no one wanted to help me take it down...

Beck said...

My Christmas decoration are all down inside the house, but everything is still up outside, where no one will EVER see it, right?
I feel very sad when I think about limiting my food choices, too.