Thursday, May 17, 2007

Memoria: My Grandpa!

At the risk of complete bloggy maudlinness, here is the next transfer from my Memoria blog. It just happens to be another grandpa one. Short but sweet.

This is my grandpa, Loyd Reddick. It was taken at a birthday party for him just a few weeks before he died. I love it so much because you get something of his personality in it. By this time, his heart issues were worsening and he had apparently been having small, indiscernible strokes. Much of the time, he wasn't himself. But on this day as friends and family gathered at the Henryetta Free Will Baptist Church to celebrate his 73rd birthday, he was his old self, at least for awhile. Shortly after this, he suffered a severe stroke and was deprived of oxygen for some time. He stayed in the hospital for 2-3 weeks before succumbing to an infection on April 22, 1990.

Just look at that smile! It makes me want to hug him one more time. I love you Grandpa.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never really knew either of my grandpas. I'm happy you were able to spend time with yours. And that smile is a *GREAT* smile.

daisies said...

he has such a warm beautiful smile ...

Mad said...

It is a great smile. Have you ever heard jazz great Roland Kirk's version of The Old Rugged Cross? I love it. My granny was a baptist.

atypical said...

You know, I can't help myself, I want to hug him too.

Thank you so much for sharing him with us!

-t

ewe are here said...

It's such a gift to have wonderful grandparents... thank you for sharing one of yours with us.

Mel said...

How graced you were to have known your grandparents....and what a joyous smile.

Makes me wanna hug him, too....

Sandra said...

Your grandparents sound like such a gift ... and obviously so much of them has rubbed off on you.

deedee said...

Your grandpa's smile is infectious.

Aliki2006 said...

He looks like such a warm and sweet individual--the picture is beautiful.

Lindsey said...

Oh it makes me miss my Grandpa. Your's looks like he was a good humored man, and a good grandpa:)