Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Confessions of a New Year's Resolutions Junkie

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Do you hear that? It is the sound of 2006 winding down. Just a few more days until the new year. I don't know about you but the last week of the year is a time of reflection for me. Maybe it is ingrained from all those years of child-like enthusiasm for New Year's resolutions. Commitments I never kept. At least, I cannot remember ever keeping one. And still, as an adult I make a few every year because every year I see the need for growth in my life.

This year I am overwhelmed by the number of things I would like to do differently in 2007. That depresses me just a little. I have learned, though, that any accomplishment begins with one small step--not the decision to do something but the first movement. And, I've learned that I'd rather look back at a year and see I made it 25% of the way toward a goal than zero percent.

So I am taking time these next few days to consider how much I want to tackle this year and to prioritize it all--which goals are more important than the others--because inevitably I will attempt more than I can handle. But by striving for more, I hope I will accomplish more than I otherwise would have. And ultimately, in the words of Dory--which my daughter reminded me of today--I'll "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." and this time next year, I'll be writing here about the progress I've made.


Image from PC Wallpapers

11 comments:

Sharon L. Holland said...

I never make resolutions anymore because mine are more about being dramatic than following through. If I resolve to change anything, I never connect it to New Year's - it just dooms me to failure. I hope it works better for you.

Em said...

Last year's resolution was to start a blog... not sure what I should do this year. I guess I'll think about it while I'm at the beach :)

Tara Lamont said...

Mary,
I really like the 'Just keep swimming' resolution for 2007. While there are many, many, many improvments I'd like to dream and make steps on for the upcoming year, I'm at a place where I need to keep swimming in order to get to that place I'm dreaming of.

I may work on my visioning project for new years. It's like this:
you take a piece of posterboard and paste all the pictures and ideas of what you need in life, what you are attracted to, what goals you'd like to reach on the poster. Place in in a place where you see it often and swim from there...

This sounds like a resolution to me!
Tara

Unknown said...

VM: I am much, much better at making resolutions than keeping them--no matter what time of year. I guess that's why I'm calling myself a junkie. I just need to try again year after year.

Em: I hope you share your resolution(s) on your blog!

Tara: Ooooh... I like the collage idea. I love collage. I have to go to Office Depot to get some stuff for my son. I may have to buy some posterboard to go with it!

daisies said...

just keep swimming seems like a good idea to me ...

i've never really made new years resolutions but this year ~ this year is all about doing something different i think :)

ewe are here said...

I like that: just keep swimming.

I'm not going to make any 'resolutions' per se, because I've always thought that if I really wanted to do/change something, I'd just do it. Not wait for some magical day. But I will just keep swimming, I think, and try to reflect and improve upon life.

Wishing you much cheer for you and yours for the New Year.

N. said...

My New Year's resolution is always always the same: give up crack cocaine. As I have never ever used crack cocaine this is easy to master and I have an immediate (if empty) sense of victory.

At 14 I made a similar pledge of abstinence for lent. I wrote an essay about it. I was sent home from school with a note from Sister Geraldine. My mother was not amused. At least not publically. I bet she laughed about it later.

Anonymous said...

Here's to making New Years resolutions anyway! Not only do I make New Years resolutions, I add new ones and refine the old ones throughout the year. And that is a good idea to keep track of your progress. When I take the time to do so, I always feel better for it. Happy New Year!

(We've had a tough week at my house, so I'm behind in my blog visiting. The pictures on your site are great! Thanks for sharing them.)

Lindsey said...

This is totally the time for reflection. I think we're all programmed to do that, even if we don't want to. I found a New Years meme and did it today...I didn't tag anyone but try it, it was fun to reflect like that. And thanks to your post about the extra stocking, I bought one after Christmas and it will be up next year. Thank you! Now I can think about what things I want to be able to put in the stocking next year, kind of like making resolutions:) Happy New Year!

Sandra said...

Yes, prioritize and just keep swimming Mary. Such sound wisdom. Wishing you a happy new years' resolution making weekend!!!! And I am looking forward to reading all about it in 2007.

therapydoc said...

I love pics of fish. Forgot all about Nemo lately, but SHOULD be using that mantra more often, the I'll just keep swimming thing.

Oh, this reminds me of such a good story.